When it comes to summer cooking I like to stick with a ‘less is more’ mentality. Less heat and more flavor!! Summer produce is so flavorful and when you work with good, quality, seasonal ingredients the less you need to add to them. This watermelon salad is essentially summer in a bowl. So fresh, oh-so flavorful and light enough to go back for seconds. Tangy pickled onion is the perfect complement to the sweet and juicy watermelon and the addition of salty feta cheese makes this salad come together in the most delicious way.
This is the ideal salad to enjoy over the 4th of July weekend. Pack it up for a picnic at the beach or bring a bowl full to your holiday BBQ…whatever you do make sure you make enough to enjoy all weekend long!!
- - 4 cups watermelon or about 1/2 medium sized watermelon
- - 1 ear corn, kernels removed
- - 1/2 cup feta
- - 1/2 cup pickled onion
- - 10 leaves basil, roughly chopped
- - 1/4 cup olive oil
- - 1/2 teaspoon salt
- - 1 red onion
- - 1/3 cup warm water
- - 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- - 2 tablespoons honey
- - 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients together.
- Serve cold
- In a bowl or jar combine all ingredients. Let sit for at least 20 minutes...the longer the better!
- Make a jar full and store it in your fridge for the week.