Now that we are in summer mode and starting to make plans for summer parties, adventures and gatherings I thought I’d share my tips for one of my fav summer activities…picnics! I consider myself to be pretty lucky in that I live in perpetual summer mode and that sunny days at the beach are a pretty common occurrence for me. But, this doesn’t mean that summer doesn’t get me all giddy and excited like it does for the rest of you. Watermelon, peaches, picnics…I love all that summer goodness just as much as the next gal so to celebrate the unofficial start of summer I packed up the picnic basket and headed down to our local beach park for a relaxing beachside picnic.
Planning the perfect picnic is sorta like planning a mini, transportable party. Sure you can head to the store and grab a bag of chips, dip and a 6 pack of soda but really, thats not all that special. To take your summer picnic up a notch here are fool proof tips and tricks.
– Remember that your picnic is essentially a pop-up party so you need to bring the whole set up; blankets, chairs or pillows, a small table, music, a cooler for food and drinks, and plates, napkins, flatware, etc.
– Food prep and planning- Unless you plan to bring a small grill, picnic foods should be easy make ahead dishes that can be easily transported. Sandwiches, cheese/crackers, pasta salad, broccoli salad, etc. Think foods that can be eaten easily off a place or by hand. Pack your cooler or picnic basket with enough ice to keep your food and drinks cold.
– Setting the table- This table in a bag is amazing and it makes setting up a picnic extremely easy. I like to bring a few cloth napkins to act as a tablecloth, each pacesetting has a melamine plate, colorful napkin and inexpensive flatware to keep the napkin from flying away. Bring a small cutting board for cheese and crackers or other appetizers.
– Depending on where you’ll be picnicking remember sunscreen, bug spray, umbrella, sweaters, etc…
– And, last but not least, I always pack a fun game. Cards and smash ball are my favorite and are great for entertainment (or for relaxing after the feast!)Remember picnics can be any time of the day…I’m thinking a breakfast picnic would be a blast!
What are some of your favorite picnic foods and tips…share, share!