Welcome to The Busy Girl’s Guide, a bi-weekly article where I share my favorite tips, tricks and lifestyle hacks aimed at showing you just how easy it is to live a stylish (& healthy!!) life while balancing your everyday busy-girl schedules!
With Valentine’s Day in just a few short days it’s the perfect time to whip up a sweet treat for your Valentine. And, today I’ve got just that! Two super sweet V-Day treats that will make your Valentine fall for you all over again!! The most delicious, mouth-watering strawberry crumble bar and the cutest little “love” macarons you ever did see! The best part about these desserts, they both can be made ahead of time giving you more time to spend with your sweetheart.
The Strawberry Crumble bar is a real winner, my husband even went as far as to say it was the best dessert I’ve ever made, a bold statement considering just how simple (and easy) this is to make. You can prep the dough up to two days before making the bars and can easily make he bars a couple days prior to your V-Day soirée!
*Keep reading for the recipe!
I might be biased here but I think these little “love” macarons are the cutest thing ever! A quick little DIY using stickers and edible gold spray paint turns these store bought cookies into something really special. The best part- totally customizable!! Having a party with all your girlfriends? Personalize them! Get creative- use heart stickers, lip stickers or x’s & o’s. The options are endless!
When setting up a dessert spread I like to offer up something sweet and something savory. A cheese board satisfy the craving for something savory. Blue cheese and goat cheese are perfect when served with ripe strawberries, a french baguette and delicious fig and olive crackers.
Looking for some inspiration on hosting an intimate date night at home? My Valentine’s Day Entertaining Guide has you covered with everything from the florals and place settings to a delicious and romantic dinner menu!
Strawberry Crumble Bar:
– 3/4 cup raw almonds, skin on
– 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
– 1 1/4 cups all purpose baking flour, I used this GF one
– 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ pieces
– 1/4 cup raw sugar + 1 teaspoon for topping
– 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
– 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
– 2 large egg yolks
– 6 ounces good strawberry jam
– Heat oven to 350 degrees
– In a food processor pulse almonds, salt and flour until well combined. Add butter, sugar and egg yolk until a dough forms.
– Spread 3/4 of the dough into a 9″x9″ baking dish and press firmly until the dough is spread evenly across the pan. Spread with strawberry jam, leaving 1/4″ boarder.
– In a separate bowl add the oats, almonds and extra sugar to the remaining 1/4 dough. Mix well and crumble on top of the jam.
– Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
– Can be served warm or chilled and made up to 3 days ahead of time.
Photography by Cait Schlabach Photography