I get a lot of questions about quinoa from friends and family, often asking for new ways to use the superfood grain. This month I’m going to share my favorite ways to incorporate quinoa into a dish. Sometimes I let it take center stage and other times I use it to add protein to a quick meal. In this recipe I use quinoa to turn this salad into a meal. The added protein gives this salad the boost in needs and adds a great texture. Most weeks I cook up a big batch of quinoa and use it over the week, this makes nutritious lunches super easy to whip up!! So, for this sweet and savory salad I used 1/2 a cup of cooked quinoa that I had previously cooked. I also pre-cooked the beets and grapes and let everything chill in the fridge. With a little planning this salad is super easy to make and seriously delicious.
Roasted Grape and Beet Salad with Quinoa and Arugula:
– 3 beets
– 1 cup grapes
– 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
– a good handful of arugula
– 2 tablespoons Baker and Olive Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar
– 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon thyme
– marcona almonds
– salt and pepper
– Cook quinoa according to directions. I make a batch of quinoa each week and store it in the fridge to use throughout the week.
– Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
– Clean beets and remove stems, wrap in tin foil and coat in EVOO, add a pinch of salt and cover in foil. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. Let cool.
– Roast grapes with thyme, EVOO and salt for 30 minutes. Let cool.
– Toss quinoa and arugula together with dressing, plate and top with beets and grapes. Finish with a good pinch of salt (I use maldon sea salt) and give a drizzle of EVOO.
Enjoy and check back throughout the month for more quinoa recipes!