Spring veggies are ripe for the pickin’ and I’ve been loading up on just about all my favorites during my weekly market haul. Asparagus, peas and broccoli top the list of favorites so combining them into a delicious and hearty salad was a no brainer!I’ve been on such a black rice and quinoa kick that I forgot just how much I enjoy farro. If you haven’t had it, I recommend picking some up. It’s got a great nutty flavor, a slightly chewy texture and just like quinoa and black rice, it can be used in a variety of dishes.
This is one of those great salads that can be served warm, cold or at room temperature making it ideal for picnics, potlucks or al fresco dinner parties. Serve it with a piece of grilled salmon or chicken although I must say, the dressing is fantastic with salmon!!
I roasted my veggies with a simple toss of olive oil, salt and pepper then tossed them with farro, peas, a handful of fresh parsley and arugula for a delicious peppery bite. The salad really comes together with a simple yet flavorful (and very creamy) lemon yogurt dressing. The dressing strikes the perfect balance of tangy and savory making it versatile enough to enjoy on just about any salad.
- – 1 cup farro, cooked according to packaged instructions, let cool
- – 1 head broccoli, florets removed and cut to equal sizes
- – 15-20 asparagus, ends removed and cut into thirds
- – 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- – 1 cup arugula
- – 1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- – 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- – juice from 1 lemon
- – 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- – 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- – 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- – 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread broccoli and asparagus onto sheet pan, toss in a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes, flipping half way through. Remove and let cool 10 minutes
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredients for the dressing. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- In a large bowl combine the farro, peas, broccoli, asparagus, arugula and parsley. Toss with lemon yogurt dressing and top with walnuts.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.