Summer is here and it has been hot, hot, hot! In an attempt to keep hydrated and cool I’ve been enjoying these Homemade Ginger Mint Sodas. They’re oh-so refreshing and full of flavor; slightly spicy from the ginger and a little sweet thanks to the mint. Best part is…they’re a cinch to make and you can make a big batch of the ginger simple syrup and keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
It’s the perfect beverage to enjoy throughout the day and once 5 o’clock rolls around, you can most certainly add a shot of your favorite liquor (I recommend a light rum, vodka or gin) and turn it into a refreshing Ginger Mint Cocktail!
Here is how you make it:
- - equal parts ginger simple syrup and sparkling water
- - fresh mint
- - slice of lemon
- - 2" nub of ginger, skin removed and and sliced into 1/4" pieces
- - 1/2 cup honey
- - 6 cups water
- In a large sauce pan combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a medium simmer. Let the liquid reduce by half (about 30-45 minutes).
- Let cool
- Add fresh mint to a glass and muddle with the pack of a spoon until it breaks up. Fill the glass with ice and pour over equal parts ginger simple syrup and sparkling water.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon.