Each July my parents peach tree overflows with the freshest and most deliciously juicy peaches that I’ve ever tasted. Therefore, each July I’ve found my fruit bowl to overflow with said peaches. The thing about having a fruit tree is that you get this amazing homegrown piece of fruit that tastes infinitely better than anything you can buy in the store, but in seriously mass quantities. Making use of these peaches so they don’t go to waste is my mission this month. If you have a tried and true recipe for peaches, send that baby my way!
Today I’m sharing a grilled watermelon and peach salad topped with pistachio and mint pesto. And this pesto is OMG good. I personally think the pesto kinda made the dish and luckily my recipe for the pesto makes way more than needed for this. Meaning, more pesto for more meals!
If you plan on firing up the BBQ on the 4th then I (highly) suggest you throw some watermelon and peaches on the grill alongside that corn on the cob. Pull the fruit off, let it cool and top with this pesto. Your friends and family will be impressed with how simple and delicious this salad is!
Grilled Watermelon and Peach Salad with Pistachio and Mint Pesto:
Pesto: This will yield about 2 cups pesto
– 3 cups arugula
– 1 cup mint
– 3/4 cup pistachio
– 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 2 garlic cloves
– zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 4 Peaches, or more depending on how many people you are serving
– 1/4 of a watermelon cut into triangles
– In a food processor pulse pistachios and garlic until ground. Add lemon, lemon zest, arugula and mint and continue to pulse while adding olive oil. Add salt to taste.
– Toss fruit in a bowl with flavorless oil and a pinch of salt.
– Heat the grill to medium/high heat. Add fruit. Grill watermelon for 2-3 minutes per side and peaches 4-5 minutes per side.
– Let the fruit cool.
– Plate the fruit and top with micro greens, pistachio and drizzle the pesto over the top.