I know, I know two taco recipes in a row! What can I say? I just love a good taco! Last week’s featured shredded teriyaki chicken, and this week we’re keeping things a little more classic. Simple and easy grilled chicken tacos. But wait, these guys have homemade corn tortillas and the most delicious lime cashew cream, so I guess they aren’t that simple. Although, you’d be surprised at how easy they are to make. Homemade corn tortillas, no big deal! All you need is some of this, a pinch of salt and hot water. For the lime cashew cream, I used the recipe from here but swapped out the lemon for a lime, skipped the marcona almonds and the soaking step because honestly adding the cashew cream was a totally last minute decision and who has time to soak cashews anyways? It still tasted unbelievably delicious.
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Homemade Tortillas and Lime Cashew Cream:
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cups Masa
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/3 -1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup water plus more if needed
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- Red cabbage shredded
- olive oil (I used harissa extra virgin olive oil)
- 2 coves garlic
- 1 gallon ziplock bag
Make it: Tortillas
- Cut the seams of the zip lock back so it stays connected just at the bottom.
- Measure 2 cups of masa and pour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in a pinch of salt. Add 1/12 cups hot water. Mix completely. Cover and let sit for 1 hour.
- Using an ice cream scoop, roll a 2 inch ball of dough. Place ball in between the zip lock bag and begin to roll using a rolling pin. Roll it out until its at desired thickness.
- In a dry pan, heat tortilla for 1 minuted then flip and heat the other side for another minute.
Make it: Chicken
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over both sides of the chicken, add a pinch of salt and paper.
- Barbecue chicken for 10 minutes on one side then 6 on the other side. Or until fully cooked.
Make it: Lime Cashew Cream
- Add cashews, olive oil, lime, garlic and salt to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add water as needed.
Make it: Tacos
- Grab a tortilla and top it with grilled chicken, shredded cabbage, avocado and drizzle the cashew cream.