Hello my friends! With Christmas spirit in full swing I’ve been making dozens upon dozens of these delightfully tasty little gingerbread men. They have the most perfect soft and chewy center and a delicious balance of sweet and spicy and have made for the perfect little gift for neighbors and friends! I enjoyed them as a mid-day snack with a warm cup of tea and I highly recommend doing the same! Addend bonus- they’re vegan so you can feel free to snack on the dough while you bake, or am I the only one who does that?!
Vegan/ can be GF if using GF flour
– 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour + more for rolling
– 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
– 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– 2 teaspoons ground ginger
– 1 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 cup molasses
– 1/2 cup softened coconut oil
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup almond milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 2 cups powdered sugar
– 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
Whisk until combined, you may need to add more sugar or more almond milk to get desired consistency. Transfer frosting to a piping bag and frost!
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
– In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and all spices.
– In a sperate bowl, cream the oil and sugar until well combined, add the molasses, milk and vanilla extract.
– Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined. You may need to use your hands to make sure the ingredients are fully combined.
– Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in saran and chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
– On a clean surface, spread out extra flour. Roll the dough until its about 1/4 inch tick, gingerbread man cookie cutter to stamp out shapes. If you’re not using a cookie cutter, just roll the dough into small balls and space out on a cookie sheet.
– Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brow. Let cool completely before icing.