Welcome to The Busy Girl’s Guide, a bi-weekly article where I share my favorite tips, tricks and lifestyle hacked aimed at showing you just how easy it is to add a little style to your every day, busy girl schedules. The start of Spring is always the perfect excuse to add fresh floral arrangements around the house and with Easter is this weekend the timing couldn’t be more perfect!
Last week I shared the ultimate Easter Brunch Entertaining Guide & Menu and these bright orange, yellow and white flower arrangements were displayed front and center on the Easter tablescape. Not only do they add color, texture and an organic element to the table but they make your tablescape (whether it’s formal or casual) look all the more elegant. Flower arrangements for special events or dinner parties don’t have to break the bank and you certainly don’t need to hire anyone to make custom arrangements for you. Building a beautiful arrangement is as simple as “layering” flowers and displaying them in a great vase.
Here’s how you do it:
Flowers Used: White Limonium // White Mums // Orange Carnations // Yellow Stock
1. Start by picking out a vase. You can use anything from traditional glass vases to colorful bowls, silver julep cups, up-cycled cans…etc. Just make sure what you decide to use as a vase matches the theme of your party!
2. Cut 4-5 stems of White Limonium. They will have an uneven and natural look. The flowers should be about 1″ above the rim of the vase.
4. Fill the empty spaces with 2-3 stems of yellow stock. Trim so that they are the tallest flower in the vase and sit at different heights.
5. Finish by trimming and adding 3-4 stems of orange carnations, so they sit about 1 inch from the top of the vase, they may sit at different heights. Fill all empty spaces with carnations
Here are my tips for creating easy & elegant flower arrangements:
- Decide on the color palette for your flowers before you go shopping. This will help keep you on track and eliminate any chance of brining home the wrong (yet still very beautiful) flowers.
- Shop your local grocery stores first. Most cities have a wholesale flower mart but unless you have a resale license you won’t get the wholesale deal. Your local grocery store most likely has a decent selection of in-season flowers, greenery and even vases!
- When you’re selecting flowers look for different sizes and textures; pick one large statement flower like mums, hydrangeas or roses then smaller flowers to fill in empty spaces.
What you’ll need: (double this ‘recipe’ to create a more than one arrangement)
- 1 Vase
- 4-5 stems of white limonium. You can also use baby’s breath, white statice or queen anne’s lace
- 2-3 stems of white mums
- 2-3 stems of yellow stock
- 3-4 stems (with multiple flowers per stem) of orange carnations
Happy Flower Arranging!!