There are a few things that inspired this recipe, the first one (if you’re local to Oahu you’re probably familiar with it) being the Curried Chicken Stuffed Papaya at Diamond Head Market and the second being the Curried Chicken Salad from Stratford Cafe in my hometown of Del Mar, CA…both of which I crave all the time!
It’s no secret that I have a major weakness for anything with curry in it (see here, here and here) and also not much of a secret that I’m a total salad lover so when I get the opportunity to enjoy both salad and curry together, in one dish, I am one seriously happy eater.
The delicious curry “sauce” is made from yogurt, curry powder and mango chutney which is so flavorful and only gets better when chicken, apples, celery, dried cranberries and walnuts are added to the mix. If salads aren’t your thing you could always enjoy the chicken on a sandwich or with crackers as more of a dip, just don’t leave out the vinaigrette- it pairs perfectly with the chicken!
During the work week I like to bring my lunch to work and more often than not i’m packing a salad. This one is ideal if you’re thinking of packing a lunch- you can make a big batch of the chicken ahead of time and it will last you all week!
Curry Chicken Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette:
– 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs (I use thighs) or a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store
– 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped (about 2 celery sticks)
– 1/2 cup apple, finely chopped (1 small apple or 1/2 of a large apple)
– 1/3 cup dried cranberries
– 1/3 cup walnuts
– 6 ounces plain yogurt
– 2 heaping spoonfuls mayonaise
– 2 tablespoons curry powder
– 1 tablespoon mango chutney or apricot preserves
– 1 teaspoon honey
– 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
– salt + pepper to taste
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette:
– 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
– 1 tablespoon honey
– 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
– 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– salt + pepper to taste
– Mixed Greens
– Carrot, julienned
– mandarin orange slices
– Season chicken with salt and pepper, bake at 375 degrees for 25-27 minutes. Let cool then chop into bite sized pieces.
– In a bowl combine the yogurt, mayo, curry powder, honey, mango chutney, vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
– Add in chicken, celery, apple, dried cranberries, walnuts.
– Mix well.
– Combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk until combined (or add to a mason jar, seal and shake!)
– Assemble salad, toss with dressing and top with curried chicken salad.