I’ve been on the hunt for easy weeknight dinners that are just as simple to make as they are delicious to eat. These crispy black rice fritters are exactly that. So simple to throw together and taste like you slaved away in the kitchen for hours! They’re jam packed full of basil and arugula which add so much flavor and then topped with a scrumptious sun-dried tomato cashew cream. Yes my friends, they are creamy and crispy and totally satisfying!
I like to start out the week cooking up a big batch of grains that I can use in recipes throughout the week and this recipe is perfect of use up any leftover rice. If you’re not familiar with black rice I suggest you head to your local grocery store and pick some up. It’s rich, nutty and so much tastier than white or brown rice. It’s also full of antioxidants which always scores extra points in my book!
Crispy Black Rice Fritters with Sun Dried Tomato Cashew Cream:
makes 12 fritters
– 2 cups black rice, cooked fresh or leftover
– 1/3 cup bread crumbs
– 1/3 cup arugula, roughly chopped
– 1/3 cup pecorino cheese, grated
– 1 tablespoon basil, roughly chopped
– 1 green onion, finely chopped:
– 3 eggs
– salt and pepper
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
Sun Dried Tomato Cashew Cream
– 1 cup cashews
– 1/3 cup water
– 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
– 1 clove garlic
– juice from 1/2 a lemon
– salt and pepper
– In a mixing bowl comine all ingredients except olive oil. Mix until combined. Form the mixture into small patties, this mix should yield about 12.
– Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the rice patty cooking on each side for 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook again for 3-5 minutes. Continue until all patties are browned.
– Transfer patties to a baking sheet and continue to cook in a 350 degree oven for 7-10 minutes. The fritters will be crispy on the outside and soft and delicious on the inside!
– Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender. Adjust seasoning to taste and add more water if needed.
– Top each fritter with cashew cream and enjoy!