Every Sunday, in preparation for the week ahead I spend the better part of the afternoon in the kitchen, baking muffins (our go to breakfast as we’re running out the door!) and prepping a couple key dishes that we’ll pack for lunch all week long. I always grill a few pounds of marinated chicken thighs and some weeks I’ll make a huge batch of grilled vegetables and other weeks I’ll make this Black Rice Salad with Roasted Cauliflower, both which we enjoy with the grilled chicken.
These chimichurri chicken kebabs have become our new favorite which isn’t all that surprising seeing as anything that is doused in chimichurri becomes a fast favorite in our house, but the combination of the tangy sauce with the grilled chicken packs a real punch.
These kebabs are pretty simple to make and probably could only get more simple if you omitted the kebab part and decided to just throw the chicken thighs (or breasts!) straight onto the grill.
I love just about anything that is smothered in this tangy, herb infused sauce! Make sure to make extra, you’ll want to use it as a dipping sauce and it’s always good to freeze some of the sauce to use at a later time!
Chimichurri Chicken Kebabs:
– 2 pound chicken thighs or breasts (I use thighs!)
– extra parsley to sprinkle over the kebabs
– 1 cup parsley
– 1/2 cup cilantro
– 2 garlic cloves
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– juice from 1/2 lime
– salt and pepper to taste
– Add all the ingredients for the Chimichurri sauce into a powerful blender or food processor. Blend until well combined. Taste and adjust salt/pepper accordingly.
– Cut chicken into 2″ pieces marinate in the 3/4 of the chimichurri sauce for at least 2 hours or overnight.
– Thread chicken onto bamboo skewers.
– Heat your grill or grill pan to medium. Grill 5-7 minutes on each side. Note- If the chicken is sticking to the grill then it is not ready to be turned, it will turn very easily once ready. This will take 15-20 minutes total.
– Remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with extra sauce and a sprinkle of fresh parsley!