These past few weeks we have been flying through butternut squash and I find myself buying multiple at a time during my weekly shopping trip. While we have been enjoying this essential fall vegetable in salads, soups and dips, I’ve been experimenting quite a bit with new ways to use the butternut squash. This raw butternut squash ribbon salad has become one of our new favorites (and is perfect for those evenings when it is still too hot to turn on the oven!) and while enjoying it raw was a relatively new concept for both Marc and me, I found that the key is to let the squash marinade in the dressing before tossing it with the rest of the ingredients. The result is a refreshing salad full of some of falls best produce!
It’s quick, oh-so delicious, hearty and totally nutritious!
Here is how you make it…
Butternut Squash Ribbon & Kale Salad with Crispy Garbanzo Beans:
– 1 small butternut squash (or 1/2 of a larger one), peeled into ribbons
– 2 cups lacinato kale, stem removed and roughly chopped
– 1 persimmon, peeled and sliced
– 1/2 cup dates, roughly chopped
– 1/4 cup dried cranberries
– 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
– 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and dried
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
– salt + pepper
Maple Mustard Vinaigrette
– 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon dijon
– 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
– 1 tablespoon maple syrup
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon pepper
– Roast the garbanzo beans with the olive oil, salt and pepper in a 410 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. You want them to be crispy and crunchy! Let cool.
– Using a vegetable peeler, peel the skin off the butternut squash and discard. Peel the butternut squash into ribbons.
– Combine the ingredients for the dressing and pour 1/2 in a bowl. Add the butternut squash ribbons and coat. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Add the kale to a separate bowl and toss with the remaining dressing. Add the dates, persimmon, onion and dried cranberries. Mix in the squash and top with the crispy chickpeas.
Find more of my favorite butternut squash recipes here:
Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Ravioli
Curry Spiced Butternut Squash and Persimmon Soup
Curried Squash Soup
Spaghetti Squash with Sage Pesto and Butternut Squash