If breakfast tostadas aren’t the best way to start the day then I don’t know what is. Tacos and tostadas are delicious anytime of the day but these ones, topped with a sunny side up egg, pack a hearty punch making them ideal for that leisurely Sunday brunch…or really, breakfast any morning of the week!
These breakfast tostadas have all the delicious flavors of huevos rancheros (one of my fav’s!) but are incredibly simple to make. I kept things really easy by using canned refried beans but you can certainly make your own bean mash if you’re up for it! Simply blend one can of black beans with a little chili powder, cumin, salt and a squeeze of lime for a delicious base to the tostadas. Then, top with an egg, I love a good sunny side up egg but poached or scrambled would be delicious too then finish it off with a spoonful of salsa verde, tomatoes and a little sprinkle of queso.
Say hello to your new favorite breakfast!
- - 4 eggs
- - 4 tortillas or tostada shells
- - 1 can refried beans
- - salsa verde
- - cilantro
- - tomato
- - green onion
- - queso fresco
- If using tortillas heat oven to 400 degrees and cook tortillas on a sheet pan until crisp. About 10- 15 minutes, flipping half way through. Let cool.
- Heat up the refried beans
- Cook egg "sunny side up" by cracking the egg into a pan and cooking until the whites are set but the yolk is still runny. Season with salt and pepper
- Roughly chop the cilantro, tomato and green onion.
- Assemble the tostadas by spreading a spoonful of beans on the tostada shell followed by the egg, salsa verde and a sprinkle of cilantro, green onion and tomato. Top with queso fresco and enjoy!
- Adjust ingredients depending on how many tostadas you want to make. This recipe serves 2 but you can simply double it to serve more!