To finish off my month of quinoa I’m brining a sweet little dessert recipe to you. I know what you’re thinking…quinoa and dessert?? Yes, I’m telling you that quinoa FOR dessert is the next thing!! Of course anything with baked apples is good, right?! So lets get to it. These babies will surprise you with how delicious they are. The warm baked apples are the perfect compliment to a sweet mixture of quinoa, coconut and hazelnuts. You’re tastebuds will thank me!
Looking for more quinoa recipes? Check out Roasted Grape and Beet Salad with Arugula and Quinoa, Quinoa Cakes with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Pesto and Breakfast Quinoa with Strawberries and Almonds!
What did you guys think of the month of quinoa? Let me know if you’d like to see more of these kinds of things, with a different focus of course. Open to ideas so leave any requests down below!
BAKED APPLES STUFFED WITH QUINOA
– 3 apples, cut it half
– 1/4 lemon
– 1 cup full fat coconut milk, refrigerated over night with coconut cream scraped off the top. You’ll use this later!
– 1/2 cup quinoa
– 1/3 cup dried cranberries
– 1/3 cup dried coconut flakes
– 1/3 cup hazelnuts, chopped
– Pre-heat oven to 380 degrees. While it’s heating cut out the core of each apple slice leaving a golf ball sized hole. Squeeze lemon over each apple.
– Bake apples for 45 minutes or until soft and golden.
– While the apples are cooking prepare quinoa; scoop off the cream from your coconut milk and place in a mixing bowl. Use remaining 1 cup of coconut milk to cook the quinoa.
– Bring quinoa to a boil add a pinch of salt then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until all liquid is gone. Add cranberries, coconut flake and hazelnuts.
– Spoon mixture into the center of each cooked apple and top with coconut cream.
– Coconut Cream: mix on high until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar if you’d like to sweeten it up.